North Eastern Weight Loss Surgery Obesity Surgery Melbourne Australia
Please remember that medical information provided by Dr Patrick Moore – North Eastern Weight Loss Surgery, Obesity Surgery Melbourne Australia, in the absence of a visit with a health care professional, must be considered as an educational service only. The information sent through e-mail should not be relied upon as a medical consultation. This mechanism is not designed to replace a physician’s independent judgement about the appropriateness or risks of a procedure for a given patient. We will do our best to provide you with information that will help you make your own health care decisions.
Many external links have been provided on this site as a service and convenience to our patients and other visitors to our website. These external sites are created and maintained by other public and private organizations. We do not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of this outside information.
Surgical Outcome Claims
Cited from the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO) is a Federation composed of national associations of bariatric surgeons and Integrated Health professionals. Here is an extract from the IFSO website – www.ifso.com/sleeve-gastrectomy:
Like the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, most of the weight loss is achieved in the first 2 years (>70% excess weight loss for BMI less than 50). Weight regain and gastric pouch dilatation can be seen thereafter. At 5 years, there is a sustained weight loss in the range of 50-60% of excess weight.
|Sleeve – 2 yrs postoperatively|
|BMI||<25%||25-50%||50-75%||> 75% EWL||Average Wt loss % EWL|
- Chu C, Gagner M, Quinn T, Voellinger DC, Feng JJ, Inabnet WB, Herron D, Pomp A: Two-stage laparoscopic BPD/DS. An Alternative Approach To Super-Super MorbidObesity. Surgical Endoscopy 2002; S187.
- Schauer PR, Bhatt DL, Kirwan JP, Wolski K, Brethauer SA, Navaneethan SD, Aminian A, Pothier CE, Kim ES, Nissen SE, Kashyap SR; STAMPEDEInvestigators. Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy for diabetes–3-year outcomes.N Engl J Med. 2014 May 22;370(21):2002-13
- Hutter MM, Schirmer BD, Jones DB, Ko CY, Cohen ME, Merkow RP, Nguyen NT. The first report from the American College of Surgeons Bariatric Surgery Center Network: laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy has morbidity and effectiveness positioned between the band and the bypass.Ann Surg. 2011 Sep;254(3):410-20
- Rebecchi F, Allaix ME, Giaccone C, Ugliono E, Scozzari G, Morino M. Gastroesophageal reflux disease and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: a physiopathologic evaluation. Ann Surg. 2014 Nov;260(5):909-14
- Rosenthal RJ; International Sleeve Gastrectomy Expert Panel, Diaz AA, Arvidsson D, Baker RS, Basso N, Bellanger D, Boza C, El Mourad H, France M, Gagner M, Galvao-Neto M, Higa KD, Himpens J, Hutchinson CM, Jacobs M, Jorgensen JO, Jossart G, Lakdawala M, Nguyen NT, Nocca D, Prager G, Pomp A, Ramos AC, Rosenthal RJ, Shah S, Vix M, Wittgrove A, Zundel N.International Sleeve Gastrectomy Expert Panel Consensus Statement: best practice guidelines based on experience of >12,000 cases.SurgObesRelat Dis. 2012 Jan-Feb;8(1):8-19. doi: 10.1016/j.soard.2011.10.019. Epub 2011 Nov 10.
- Gagner M, Deitel M, Erickson AL, Crosby RD. Survey on laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) at the Fourth International Consensus Summit on Sleeve Gastrectomy.Obes Surg. 2013 Dec;23(12):2013-7
If you require to find out more please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org